Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day three...

This morning we planned to visit our close friends and neighbors up the street, they have been out of town for almost two weeks and our children were really missing each other, so we ate a simple breakfast of yogurt, almonds and berries and got ready to go. After stripping beds and starting a load of wash we drove up to our friend's house. (It is only a 13-house walk up the hill but it has been raining for two days straight and I didn't want to get caught in a downpour.) The kids played and caught up on every moment since they last saw each other, and I had coffee with my dear friend.

We made plans for the Spring semester of a little co-op we do together, I teach Art and Handicrafts and she lead a Book Club teaching literary elements to the children. We also discussed starting a Bible study with the women in our church plant, so that we can encourage each other and be encouraged by God's Word together. We also chatted about plans for the weekend, both our families are looking forward to our Young Birder's Club meeting this weekend - "A Bird in the Hand" - we will be observing/helping with tagging and releasing birds at Guadalupe River State Park come rain or shine.

After what only seemed like moments the entire morning had slipped away and we headed home for lunch. I had hoped that Micah would take a nap so that I could slip away to the grocery story while the older four worked on lessons and Caleb played. Alas, Micah would not nap, so we gathered up lessons and everyone piled into the car. There is a little cafe at the grocery store I go to every Wednesday, so I had the four oldest sit in a booth and work on their studies. Meanwhile, I pushed one basket containing my reusable bags, purse and one preschool child and pulled the other basket containing the food I was buying and the other preschool child. Besides trying to reach over the baskets to touch each other the entire time I shopped, the two youngest were actually quite well behaved, even garnering some positive attention from a few shoppers. All the children were rewarded with a lollipop at the conclusion of the shopping trip.

Driving to the grocery store we saw the most amazing thing, a Red Tailed Hawk swooped down across the highway in front of us and landed in the median. He had made a successful catch, of what I can only imagine was likely a field mouse in the tall grass, and there were whoops of excitement as we saw him fly back off with his prey in his claws. Science for today... check! The drive home was much less exciting, and quiet (thanks to the lollipops). :)

Once home, kids finished lessons and I unloaded our fruits and veggies for the week. I just acquired a pretty basket for my counter to put all our goodies in, I love how it brightens up my kitchen to have so much yummy fruit around.


The kids were a little more energetic than usual, it was easy to tell they have been cooped up by the rain, so when they reported that our neighbors were out riding bikes it was decided that we should join them. I made a quick french press and held the dogs on leashes while the children rode bikes for almost two hours. Dinner was simple, leftovers with a fresh salad. Baths, new handicrafts started, reading and bed. The only thing missing today was piano lessons, our teacher decided to avoid our potential ickiness and postponed our lesson... can't say as I blame her. 

At some point I should likely check the children's school work for this week, but around dinner I started feeling warm and icky myself. So, I think I will just go to bed and see how I feel about things in the morning. Elliott is planning to work from home in the morning until it is determined whether or not I should get into the doctor or if I am just imagining these symptoms because I have sick kids around me, which is totally possible. I wonder if I can talk him into cooking breakfast either way... And I am so hoping that I wake up not sick.

3 comments:

  1. Your day sounds as bright at the fruit. I, too, like the beauty fruit on the counters brings.

    Though I am not a birder, I just LOVE red tailed hawks. I would keep a tally of the number I saw on my drive home from college. Would keep me awake. It's a thing my mom taught me too: to spot red tail hawk pairs. Now, I love it and am passing it on to my kiddos. We had one swoop down in our yard here and grab something. We had one that would screech in our old house area. Just love them.

    I hope you aren't sick!

    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading about your day; sounds like a very good one. Those play dates & breaks are so good for the soul sometimes! And the fruit is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're not sick! Enjoyed reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete