Friday, January 18, 2013

Day nine...

I am starting to feel like I haven't really done justice to this 10-day challenge to share about how we homeschool as this week has found us not doing much schooling, and instead walking through life together... and maybe that is the point.

Today I actually woke up before any of the children (which is a goal and huge accomplishment), however it was not because I put forth any effort, it was because the dryer repairman called to say he would be at my house in 20 minutes. All the children promptly woke up when the repairman rang the doorbell because of the greeting from my two mini-dogs, Mocha and Cinnamon, barking like crazy to protect us from this intruder. The dryer can be fixed. The parts will be here in a week. I took a deep breath and calculated that I will have at least three more Mondays before I get my dryer back. That realization drove me to make coffee.

The kids had breakfast and we talked about our plans for the day... go up the street for Bible study, home to lunch, then to the park for a play date. Elliott was going to meet me at the park to take the kids home so I could go visit my friend in the hospital who had a baby on Wednesday and then go to coffee with a friend. On the books it looked like it would be one of the more simple of our week to this point. And then my phone rang...


My friend who had her baby on Wednesday was on the phone telling that she had experienced a setback in her recovery that morning and wanted me to contact a few people from church for prayer and to let the folks from Sunday School class know. We chatted for a while, the children were playing loudly in the hallway so I went and hid in my bathroom for the phone call. We reminded each other of God's providence and sovereignty as I held back tears and choked back others. The kids were wandering in trying to find out when we were leaving for Bible study, and we did eventually leave but I was in a fog and making more phone calls.

The older kids were tasked with helping keep the youngest kids occupied during the Women's Bible study and we only had a few escapees during the whole two hours, so I consider that a success. I was tending to many texts about my friend as we discussed the topics we would be covering in the coming weeks. I was (and am) really excited about digging into God's Word together, though I was thoroughly distracted about my friend. At the end of Bible study, as we were all gathering children to head home, I got a text that my friend was having more trouble. A gasp and tears escaped me, composing myself enough to drive home, I was praying through every breath.

Lunch I threw in a bag to take to the park. Some days, in the moments of uncertainty, just keeping moving is the best thing. I already knew that I was going to be able to go to the hospital in a few hours, and that other friends were going to be there in the gap, so I felt I needed to keep this commitment for my children. The time at the park was fun for the children, and I had a precious time with the mom. The weather was absolutely gorgeous, and the park was a perfect break in the day.

Right before Elliott came to pick up the children, so I could go to the hospital, my friend called and I was so happy to hear her voice. She filled me in on the events of the morning and I took her order for coffee that I would soon be delivering. Kids finished playing. Friends said goodbyes. And dad took the kids home for dinner, and Bible time, and bed (from the heaps of laundry on the bathroom floor I am assuming there were also baths).

I had the opportunity to sit with my friend, too sick to hold her baby, and love on her little one. I felt honored to share these early moments with her, and I spent time in silent prayer thanking the Lord for her friendship. I got to feed the baby, change the baby, cuddle the baby; it was a sweet time of fellowship as I stood in the gap until her husband was able to come for the evening.

I checked in at home via text as I left the hospital. All well at home, I moved on to my evening plans of coffee with a friend. I had already rescheduled last week when I thought I was sick (and was actually just crazy exhausted), and was glad to hear she was willing to wait for me. We shared about our days, our weeks, our successes and our struggles. The time was such a blessing, iron sharpening iron, encouraging each other, and remembering the mighty works of the Lord. We got kicked out of Starbucks and shivered in the parking lot for a while before finally parting, though we probably could have filled a few more hours.

And now home, the day's events still swirling in my mind, recalling the many ways that the Lord showed Himself in the details of the day. In the midst of a week that was already reminding me that while man plans his steps, the Lord directs his paths, today was the exclamation point. I am going to bed praying for my friend, and thanking Him for His protection of her. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is perfect! Exactly the point of why the link up is happening! There are days when we educate on life: ministering and doing what God puts before us! It's one of my biggest loves for homeschooling. I've been surprised to not have one this week. :)

    Praying for your friend!

    thank you so much for linking up, Denise!

    ReplyDelete