Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day four...

So, I have this problem. The colloquialism that best describes my bad habit is, "burning the candle at both ends". And every once in a while, when I have been experiencing an extended season of late nights and busy days, I hit a wall, and sometimes the wall falls on me. So, good news is, I am not sick and I have been reminded of the weakness of my flesh (I might also be realizing that wasn't a great idea the last two weeks to stay up until 2am each day to catch up on Downton Abbey episodes on Amazon Prime so I could be ready for the season 3 premier this past week... just maybe...).

 All that to say, I have no idea what time my children got up this morning or what they did. Elliott worked from home so I could sleep in and try to recoup and/or decide if I needed to go to the doctor. I woke up a little before noon to breakfast (and lunch) in bed, served with a piping hot Cinnamon Roll Latte made by my husband and children. I still felt super sluggish and would have probably tried to go back to sleep if it were not for the loud dispute over whose turn it was to work on the Math Rider game on my laptop. I decided I should probably get up and moving, so I took a shower.

When I finally came out I asked if everyone had done their school work, I was pretty sure the answer would be "no" and it was. The children had shocked looks on their faces when I insisted they get their books out, I think they were looking for a free pass from lessons. I never had checked their work for the week up to this point, so I started working on that, calling children over when explanation was needed or to reteach some concept that was not understood. The two littlest boys, who are our biggest distraction from completing our normal schedule were happily playing on the floor in the living room, now if they could only do that when I was trying to read aloud history or science, or trying to teach phonics. :)

Children randomly finished their studies and meandered off, the afternoon found us out in the front yard with the neighbors and enjoying the warm weather (bright and clear and in the 60's), especially since Sunday we will dip back down into the 30's and 40's. At one point it seemed like the whole neighborhood turned out, parents dotting the driveways and visiting with each other. It was nice and nostalgic. We keep praying for opportunities with our neighbors, and being outside as we laugh at our children's wild bike and scooter riding antics is an answer to prayer.

I wish I had more details of my day, but it sort of blurred past and I am counting the moments until I can fall back into bed. I am hoping that I perk up after another good night's sleep. Tomorrow may find us on a little field trip, trying to soak up the good weather before it nose-dives down over the weekend, we shall see how I wake up.


1 comment:

  1. Staying up til 2:00 for Downton Abbey surely can not be the problem. Definitely not, because that is normal behavior.

    The "shocked looks" made me literally laugh out loud. BTDT!

    I appreciate your desire to connect with neighbors.

    I hope you feel better.

    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete