Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day seven...

Following the events of yesterday, I would have just loved to huddle up and stay home. However, when I had planned my week, I knew that Tuesday and Wednesday were going to be crazy busy. This morning began rather normally, with waking up kids, morning room chores, breakfast, a little picking up, family devotions and the older children starting their lessons.

Around 10:45am a friend stopped by to "borrow" my two youngest boys for a play date. My two boys were bouncing off the wall with excitement at the prospect and squealed with joy to see my friend's car pull in the driveway to whisk them away to a fun day at the farm. As soon as they left we settled back into our normal routine.

Noon brought a short visit from our neighbors, coffee for the moms and playing for the kids. It was a welcomed break from academic pursuits and the time went by too quickly. Lunch was made and eaten, then time to leave for the afternoon adventures. As I contemplated that the next couple of hours would be spent driving in the car, I was exceedingly grateful for my two littlest (and loudest) having an away play date.

The last six months our oldest two kiddos have been taking guitar lessons from a great young man from our old church. Until recently, our teacher has come to us (via his mom) but this week we started making the trek to his home for lessons. Today, I also had the added task of picking up my mom from the airport after coming home from a little vacation. In a perfect world, I would have been able to drop of the kids, drive to the airport, pick up my mom and drive back to get the kids. Airports aren't perfect however, so the twins and I made at least 10 laps around the airport... my mom having gotten rid of her cell phone, we just had to trust that she was eventually going to come out. Thankfully, she did, on lap number 11 or 12 or 13...

Since the twins and I were sufficiently chilled from our 40 minutes of circling the airport, we swung through the Starbucks drive-thru and then went to pick up the kids from guitar. The guy from the auto repair shop called me and while my car would be done today, it wouldn't be done until later... that perfect world scenario I mentioned earlier also included being able to have my mom drop me off at the car repair place to pick up my car. Since the timing on that didn't work out, I paid for my car over the phone and asked them to leave it in front of the shop with the keys locked inside.

Elliott had an after-work meeting and the two littlest were being returned home, so we got home and began working on more school. The boys came home and the decibel level increased three fold, as well as the number of things that were being propelled through the air. It was entertaining to have them back. :)

Our evening consisted of getting back in the car and going across town to pick up my car from the shop, eating out, getting home and picking up. We have the San Antonio Symphony Young People's Concert Series performance to attend tomorrow, so I ushered the kids into bed a little early and asked Elliott to make bread so we could have sandwiches tomorrow. And now for bed...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, laps around the airport! No fun. :)

    Play dates are my kiddos top kind of way to spend a day.

    I love your decibel level comments. Sooooo get that.

    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete