Friday, January 11, 2013

Day five...

After going to bed before 10pm last night and waking up this morning at 8am, I felt like a new person! I definitely had overdone it the last couple of weeks and my late nights caught up with me... sigh. Once again, humbled by my age and need for more regular sleep, we started our little day.

For the last four months our Fridays have been spent hosting a little co-op at our home. We typically spent the mornings picking up and setting up the 30 chairs upstairs for choir, then I would finish my preparations for the art and handicrafts class I taught, and the kids would rush about to finish their homework for the book club one of my friends led. The last few weeks we haven't had that, so this morning everyone seemed to meander about aimlessly.

I was half tempted to do school today... and maybe we ought to have, but I was feeling grumpy and wanted to get out of the house. I decided to run some errands, then come home and have lunch and spend the afternoon listening to a new audio book and working on handicrafts. The errands went well, lunch was easy, Micah actually napped and the rest of us gathered in the living room.

Hannah was knitting a bear for one of my friends having a baby next week, Grace started crocheting a little cat, Faith was reluctant to work on anything she knew how to do because what she really wanted to do was whittle like Noah and Caleb. Since the girls have quite a few handicraft skills (crocheting, knitting, embroidery, hand sewing) and the boys don't, I made a decision to not let the girls whittle, at least for awhile. This hasn't been the most popular of decisions from the girls' point of view, but I feel for the boys not having many masculine "quiet activities" and have decided to save this one for them. Of course there is wood working, but that can be a tad loud for read aloud times, not to mention, power tools need supervision and probably aren't the best fit for a 9yo and 5yo. Once it was accepted that I was not budging, and that everyone needed to do something they could do without my help (because I actually wanted to crochet too), we had an enjoyable time listening to the unabridged Winnie the Pooh and working.

Laundry was finished and put away. Dishes were loaded and unloaded throughout the day. The hallway bathroom was cleaned due to the discovery of a mysterious yellow liquid on the floor. We ate dinner and then welcomed a surprise visit from friends looking to buy a house in our neighborhood (and just around the corner). The adults had lattes, the kids all played and later asked to put in a documentary about birds and volcanoes. They are looking at a home that has the same floorplan as our home, so we gave a tour and answered questions about construction.

We finished up the night with a little cleaning up (messes discovered during the tour), vitamins, family worship and discussions of plans for tomorrow morning's birding trip. Overall, we had a nice week, though I feel a burden to be better prepared for next week. This week we stayed on our "ideal" schedule one day. Maybe next week we will have two "normal" days. Ha! We'll see...

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I really want to work on handwork with my girls. I need to get the yarn out. I don't know how, but HB does and I want her to teach the rest of us.

    This sounds like a lovely, really lovely, Friday!

    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have really enjoyed learning together. I had never done anything more than cross stitch as a child until I turned 30... Ever since we have been learning new things and it has been a joy!

      Delete
  2. I think I need to send my kids over to your place to knit and whittle a bit . . .
    (one "ideal" day sounds like success! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! Send them right over!!!! And thank you for the encouragement. One day is a success. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh! love the idea of handicrafts during quiet times. Whittling with the boys....do you have training links, videos, something that you used, or just a whittling tool and a stick? My boys are pros at shaving all the bark off a stick, but none have progressed from that to real, actual whittling or wood carving or anything....suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a book that I got for inspiration, to help the kids think beyond the bark stripping (which is how the boys started, and something they still enjoy). "Big Book of Whittle Fun" by Chris Lubkemann

      I have also ordered "Whittling Twigs and Branches" also by Chris Lubkemann, but I am waiting for it to arrive.

      Right now my son is using the book "Tiny Whittling" by Steve Tomashek which has some introductory projects using soap and vegetables. It has a lot of great general carving information and has great pictures of each step.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. yes, very helpful! thank you!! putting those in my amazon cart now :)

      Delete
  4. I, too, am amazed by all of the craftiness going on during quiet time. I need to find an alternative to reading for quiet time because I only have one right now that actually enjoys reading. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete