Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The list can wait...

I had a long to-do list of things that I wanted to get done before going into surgery in two days. I made it in my mind a month ago when May 20th was selected as "the day". My list included cleaning, organizing, and purging my craft room upstairs. As well, I really wanted to conquer clutter in my living room and kitchen. I needed to swap out winter clothes for summer clothes and figure out what was needed to fill in the blanks in the kids wardrobes. Not to mention get control over the garage again.

So far I have cleaned and organized my craft closet, and the classroom. But my craft room is a disaster. I have cleaned out the kids drawers and swapped out winter and summer clothes and shorts and a couple of new pieces were added to each drawer to replace things that had been grown out of. However, the bins of winter clothes and coats still remain in my living room taking up way too much space. And then I decided to stop.

I thought about what I wanted my kids remembering about me. Do I want my kids remembering how organized I always was? Or do I want them remembering that I was always available to them to play a game, or read a book or listen to a story or give a hug? Do I want my children to remember how important it was to mom to have a tidy house? Or would I rather remember that I took the time to play games on the floor and watch silly plays they made up or that I would trust the oldest to make lunch on a whim?

So for this week, the list can wait. And maybe next week too. And the next week.

1 comment: