Sunday, May 15, 2011

I like to write things down...

I make lists.
I like having things to check off.
They are my paper brain.
I need them to stay on track.
They get me back on track when I get off.
Which occurs with monotonous regularity. 

And when I go on a trip, I write down everything.
Yep, everything.
Even obvious stuff.
If I don't, I forget obvious things.
Like a hairbrush.
Or pajamas.
Or towels.
Or worse.
So far I haven't forgotten any people.
But they go on the list too.
That is probably why.

I make charts too.
The day starts with the Morning Responsibilities chart.
Then it is onto the one for daily chores.
Another adorns the fridge for meal time chores.
Even playroom clean-up duties gets a chart.
I made a comprehensive one for prayers.
Themed by day.
Missionary Mondays.
Teaching Tuesdays.
Welcoming Wednesdays.
Thankful Thursdays.
Freedom Fridays.
I play with fonts to make them more interesting.
I also add graphics.

And I like schedules.
Daily schedules.
School schedules.
Menus that correspond with our schedule.
I like to color code them.

If you think I am joking, you should see my kitchen.
Or my office.
Or the kids' bedrooms.
Or the classroom.

I also keep a notebook.
The front is for sermon notes.
And notes from Sunday School class.
And urgent prayer requests.
The back is where I flip to make other notes.
That I think of during the sermons.
And Sunday School class.
Like things not to forget at the grocery store.
Or questions to remember to ask Elliott.
So I can keep from being distracted.

I also have a prayer journal.
And while I don’t particularly like journaling.
My handwriting gets on my nerves.
Doing it helps me stay on track.
And when I forget what I was praying about, I can look back.
Are you seeing a pattern?
I sometimes get distracted.
Oh, look… a butterfly…

But, seriously, if you need a chart or a list or a schedule...
Just let me know.

1 comment: