Thursday, March 8, 2012

What I am learning...

We are hoping to have our house on the market in a week and a half. I have been pre-packing for a week and will hopefully finish this weekend and early part of next week. I am learning a lot about myself in this process, and I can't say all of it is good, much of it is convicting. I don't think I will need to go inside of a Target or Hobby Lobby for at least another 5 or 6 years, and at Costco I will need to steer clear of the isles with "stuff" and head straight to the food. I wish I was kidding.

I have learned that being super organized can do one thing for you... it can cover-up the fact that you have way too much stuff because you can tuck it away so neatly no one notices it. However, when you go to move it all, everyone notices. Sigh. I have been thankful for the weather, as it has been a joy to watch my children run about in the lovely weather. Storms are predicted for the next few days, I will likely have to rely on videos to get work done. I will likely choose something historical so I won't feel so guilty about the TV time.

Today I started the day at my mom's. I am going to be storing most of our books there during this transitional time. We moved three of our regular bookshelves to her house this weekend, in preparation. So, this morning the kids played downstairs while I rearranged, moving some bookshelves of hers down into her office, then moving the couch around that was already upstairs and placing the three bookshelves we brought over. I had lugged over 9 copy boxes full of books, so they got unpacked and tucked into the bookshelves. Then we headed home for lunch. After lunch I packed more, and by the time I ran out of boxes, I had 16 more copy boxes full of books. I am glad to say that we are nearing the end of the books... in case you haven't guessed this yet, I have a lot of books. After the kids went to bed E and I moved the last three regular bookshelves to my mom's but the unloading of books will have to wait until tomorrow.

Some friends and I are also having a garage sale on Saturday. I am hoping that the predicted rain holds off, I really want to get rid of as much stuff as I can, I plan on emptying out my mom's garage, whatever doesn't sell is GONE! I have piles from my house to take over there too. I have to work really hard tomorrow to weed stuff out, anything I don't get rid of after Saturday will go straight to donation. I am thankful for E's parent's letting us borrow their truck, besides loving driving it, I am thankful not to have to take seats in and out of the Suburban to move things.

All in all, no matter what happens with regard to whether or not we get the opportunity to purchase the property which has so motivated us to sell our home as quickly as possible, I am confident that the Lord is using this time, this trial, this work, to show me areas where I could be conformed to His image. Areas which I had sadly ignored just by "organizing" them more neatly. I feel like I am holding all this "stuff" much looser now. Good things to learn. And if I know you, and you come to my garage sale, you can have anything you want from it for free. No kidding.

3 comments:

  1. so where is this amazing property?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you dear! Moving cleans things out, leaving you without a choice. We packed all the clothing in garbage bags. Not that you will be moving far, but the movers were thankful to see them when they came to load the truck. They stuck the bags in between the furniture, etc. used them for extra padding. It's easier to squish them in too, instead of yet another box to stack. Good luck! I feel your pain. It will be me sooner than later as we are still renting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha yes! When we moved from Spain I developed a tremendous distaste for "stuff" (and I thought I had done a good job keeping it to a minimum!) I appreciate your candid, humorous evaluation . . . and your willingness to have that grip loosened!

    ReplyDelete