Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What Legos sound like...

We have a room in our home dedicated to the use and storage of these plastic little bricks. They make a distinct tinkling sound as children dig through the boxes to find that perfect piece. Last week a friend and I spent four hours sorting our entire Lego collection by color. Since then there has been a new creative boost to the Lego building efforts around here, resulting in many new forts, towers, boats, etc.

More entertaining than the creations themselves are the conversations between the children as they build with them. This evening after dinner I was sitting in the living room listening to their banter back and forth. There was the occasional battle over a special or coveted piece and I restrained myself from jumping in and was surprised at how quickly resolution was reached. There was a discussion about what a certain creation was meant to be, and some children spent much time figuring out what to name their creations. There were talks of non-Lego things, like how long into the New Year is it acceptable to keep singing Christmas songs or what the plot of the pirate play planned for tomorrow afternoon should be. Amazingly, it was a rather peaceful time and fun was had by all.

The sounds from the "Lego Room" were sweet and encouraging. A while ago I posted 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 on our wall in the kitchen so we can see it from the table during meals. I did this because we were struggling to be loving or kind to each other. We worked on memorizing it and quite often we would discuss what love looked like or what love would do in a certain situation. We talk about the "golden" rule, how Jesus encourages us to "do unto others what you would want them to do unto you". We would talk about building one another up to love and good deeds. How it is a blessing to do good and share. Sometimes I felt like my face might turn blue, and I would have to refrain from ending my comments with "blah, blah, blah" because we had gone over it so many times. And we continue to.

This evening was a gift to me. It was a glimpse at progress. That being said, there is a chance that tomorrow I may blog that today must have been entirely imagined because not a happy sound was made all day. I hope not. But I can't exactly rule it out. :P

What does happy play sound like at your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment