Wednesday, December 21, 2011

When we take a break...

I get excited. I work on all those projects that I have been ignoring for all the many weeks we have been doing school. I also schedule dates to have coffee with friends and for having friends over to play with the kids. Monday and Tuesday were crazy with friend fun. Almost too crazy.

Today, after sleeping in until the kids woke up, I worked on the upstairs room which we are converting from being my old office/craft room/catch-all room into being a guest room. It won't solely be a guest room as we have rarely enjoyed the opportunity to host anyone in our home, but it will be arranged in such a way that we will be able to! (This is a not-so-subtle hint to my out-of-town friends - Come see us!!!!!)

I organized my yarn. I weeded through clothes I had been saving from the children in hopes of one day having some cute sewing project using the kids' old clothes. I am working on hoarding less and being more realistic. The clothes went into a trash bag to be given away. I had the kids go through and organize Playmobil sets. We dusted the bookshelves and began trying to organize books. I took out some of the boxes of toys and stashed them in the guest room closet, I am thinking of keeping them out of the normal rotation. I chose things that might be good for pulling out only during school hours to keep the two littlest boys busy during room time while I am teaching the olders... plus, it means less toys out in the open for Micah to dump out at will. Win-win.

If you were to go into either my office or the upstairs room right at this very moment it would seem disastrous... but I have learned that is normal when you are in transition, especially when organizing and purging is occurring. There is laundry to fold. Nothing new there.

Tomorrow we are hoping to go to the Botanical Gardens. We will see what the weather does. Friday will be another purging and organizing day as Elliott's car will be in the shop. It will be nice to be home and able to work on more projects. Part of me is tempted to not start school until we are all finished with projects... but since there are always projects that probably isn't the best idea, though it is the most tempting...

What do you do when you take breaks from the normal routine?

1 comment:

  1. I've been doing the same thing! First the girls room, top to bottom...One huge bag of donations, one huge bag of trash! Then Landis's room--three boxes to store in attic, one big donation bag, one trash bag! It feels good. After Christmas, we'll hit the school room and the laundry room...

    ReplyDelete