Monday, December 5, 2011

Cultivating thankfulness...

Recently I have been bogged down by my life. Schooling four children and chasing two others (even with help a few days a week) has found me struggling lately. I can't see the floor through the piles of laundry, nor the counter beneath the dishes, and let us not talk about the spots on the hallway tile...

Then, as I was looking at a blog a friend shared with me (about a Lego lapbook), I came across an unrelated post (unrelated to the Lego thing, that is) which was very convicting. The author had effectively taken every one of my struggles from the past couple of weeks, said them and then remembered something to be thankful for about that. Ouch. I had been forgetting the second part.

So, here is my attempt at remembering to cultivate thankfulness...

When I look at the counter and see the precariously stacked piles of dirty dishes,
     I am thankful that we have an abundance to eat.
As I gaze upon the mounds of freshly washed shirts and pants we affectionately call Mount Laundry,
     I remember to be grateful for warm clothes as the days grow colder.
When I look at muddy tracks down the hall, trip over toys or step on a Lego,
     I am thankful for healthy children who are happily playing together.
As my heart sinks to think about the dust bunnies hiding behind the couch or under beds,
     I remember how blessed I am to have a well appointed and comfortable home.

This week I am making it my goal to remember the second part. I am reminded now of the children's song, "Count your blessings, name them one by one, Count your blessings, see what God has done..." Why had I stopped doing that? I am looking forward to the things I will find to be thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. oh so good. there's a book several people have recommended to me, 1,000 gifts? or something like that. Ann van something or other...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Voskamp. I follow her blog... sometimes I am encouraged... other times I feel like I am light years behind. I think I should get her book. I have her iPhone app which allows you to take photos and write down the "gift"... I haven't used it once... Are you going to get the book?

    ReplyDelete