Sunday, December 11, 2011

Changing the menu...

When you already live with a major food allergy like we do (nearly 6 years ago we found out our family is all Celiac), one might think that adding another would be "no big deal". Lately we have had many in our family with regular, non-viral, gastric distress. It is painful, and in the case of the toddler, messy.

So, we are trying to figure out if this is a lactose (milk sugar) problem or a casein (milk protein) problem. Either one seems mentally overwhelming and emotionally draining. The thought of having to go back through all the different products that we had accumulated that were safe for a GF diet and determine whether or not they will be safe for this new adventure is exhausting. I think I can get rid of cheese, it is an add-on in most cases, but no more nachoes (my quick "emergency" meal)... it will be the milk for baking and the butter, and the cream for coffee and scones that will be the most difficult to say good bye to...

I am thankful that I have friends who are already pioneering this area so I won't be back to square one like I was when we lost gluten... I really find that to be a generous gift from the Lord. As I planned my menu this week, I considered the fact that we would need to try to pull these foods from our diet... I am wishing that we had made that decision before I stocked up on cheese at Costco this past week...

When I remember that God is working all things together for my good, that I might be more conformed to His image, I can see the good in this trial. It will be the motivation I have been lacking to take the next step in eating healthier. Being on the diet alone will eliminate some of the foods that tempt me most into eating too many indulgent treats. And it will also draw me closer to Him as I know my tendency to be emotionally driven to food. This will be a good reminder that my Strong Tower is the Lord, not heavy whipping cream in my french press coffee, or ice cream with chocolate chips.

So, around here we will be changing the menu... slowly but surely...

1 comment:

  1. Wherever you do...don't quit making your yummy coffees...cocunut milk is a great substitute when I was on my no-dairy diet! (p.s. some cocunut milk is MUCH BETTER and CREAMIER than other brands. Wished I could remember which was the worst. :(

    ReplyDelete