Sunday, June 12, 2011

To use my insomnia well...

My recovery from my recent surgery is done. I am back to "normal" life, pretty much anyway. However, ever since surgery two things have returned that had subsided over the past months:
     1. Hot flashes. I beg of you, please excuse my wearing tank tops until I can get used to them again. Or a frozen-tundra-like winter comes.
     2. Insomnia. And insomnia for a night owl means crazzzzzzzy long hours.

So I have been thinking about my choices for dealing with this sleeplessness.
... I could spend these nights being upset with my inability to sleep... which I have done but it did no good.
... or I could choose to surf the web, catch up on blogs I didn't even know existed... and in general completely waste my time.
... or I could decide to reorganize a room... but Elliott might hurt himself upon discovering furniture has been moved at 2am.
... or I could take Benedryl every night... only to wake up groggy and disoriented.

Since none of those options seems very profitable or helpful in my pursuit of making choices which will be God-honoring, instead I have decided that I want to use my insomnia well. But how? Remembering the Psalms, I have chosen to pursue the example of King David.

Psalm 63: 5-7
My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;

for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.

Psalm 119:148
My eyes are awake before the watches of the night,
that I may meditate on your promise.


As I lay in bed and staring at the wall, I will consider God's Word and seek Him in prayer. And if you ask me how I have been sleeping I hope I will tell you that the Lord has been sweet to bless me with some quiet moments to meditate on His goodness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment