Friday, June 17, 2011

Out and about...

I learned a lot this week. We had a supremely busy week, for us. We don't usually leave the house more than twice a week, in fact, any more than that and I begin to feel a little stretched. Yet, this week, thanks to Noah being in golf camp with a good friend, we were out of the house every single day, and three of those days we left at 6:45am.

It has been a fun week, Noah is in love with golfing now. The rest of us had enjoyed playing at the park a few times. I think we all have a little bit more tan that we started the week with. And I had some perfectly lovely and encouraging conversations with a mom friend.

So, what did I learn?

I learned that after long stretches of being out of the house with 6 kids in tow, Motrin plus a heating pad is a great combination.
I learned it is hard to do laundry if you are not home. And dishes, for that matter.
I learned food does not cook itself, and with no drive-thru options on our GF diet, planning ahead is essential.
I learned that I had to pray more often for a patient and gentle response the later in the week we got.
I learned how to pray for my friends who keep on-the-go schedules all the time.
I learned to look at our schedule differently, not just through the lens of can we afford this (monetarily) but can we succeed in accomplishing it (time-wise and energy level).
I learned how to push through when everything in my being wanted to quit and give up.

Looking ahead, we won't have a break from this faster-than-nomal pace for two weeks, VBS is next week and the older four kids just cannot wait! That will mean early mornings out of the house every day and me preparing snacks to match the "theme" of the day. It will be a nice break as the youngest two will just hang out with me, and we will likely come home and work on projects or simply play.

The following week we were supposed to start school. We will see. That depends on how many projects I get done during my mornings "off". If not, then the next week. We are starting early to simply hide inside during the intense heat and try to get ahead for the cooler days when we are so easily tempted out of doors.

Will we become a family who is out and about all the time? I hope not. I have spent a lot of time and energy putting hedges around our schedule, trying to make sure there is a balance of family time and activities, ministry opportunities and getting to know our neighbors, cleaning the house and schooling the children, and leaving enough energy over for me to be a useful helpmeet and wife to Elliott.

So, while these two weeks are keeping us out and about, I am greatly looking forward to our return to normal. Meals at home. Chores. School. Read alouds! In general, I like being home and doing what I ought to do at a slower pace. However, I think that weeks like this are a good idea to indulge in, besides the fun we had, I am reminded that to be a Keeper-at-Home and a Homeschooler, I need to be there, Home, that is. A timely reminder as we head into the new school year and temptation abounds to be out and about...

No comments:

Post a Comment