Sunday, June 26, 2011

Overwhelmed with weeds...

I love the look of a cultivated garden. One which has been carefully manicured by a watchful gardener. Colors exploding from a muddy brown earth attracting wildlife and drawing the eye of a curious child to behold the wonders and creativity of God.

I love how a garden is a picture of my Christian life. When the garden is being carefully tended and little upshoots of weeds barely peeking through the mulch are snapped up, your gaze is drawn to the beauty of the creation. Yet, when the gardener has been gone for a few days, or has had their attention placed elsewhere for a short while, those little upshoots are given the free reign to mature and take shape in the midst of the intended beauty. Now, the beauty is still seen but you can't help notice the unintended growth. If the heat of the day or the busyiness of life keeps the gardener away too long, those imposing little weeds grow up to begin covering the plants that were intentionally placed, and what once was a place of beauty is now marred by destructive intruders.

Isn't my life the same way? When I am taking the time to be in God's Word daily, without missing or giving myself an excuse, my life more readily reflects Christ. I am more patient. I find it easier to be kind and loving. Pleasing the Lord in all I do is my first goal. When I do sin, I am quick to confess, repent and seek forgiveness.

Yet, when I let a few days slip by, either by sleeping in after a wakeful night, or not getting up early enough to have a quiet time on a morning when we will be out, or by simply being lazy, the beginnings of unattended sin creep in. My words are less gentle, I may even become snippy. The very things I found adorable and endearing last week become suddenly irksome and irritating when my heart is not right before the Lord. I find it harder to ask forgiveness of my husband or my children because I convince myself my sinful response was their fault.

Sadly, when I have allowed myself to lose track completely of the spiritual disciplines which are so important to walking with Christ in a faithful and fruitful way, my life can become very deeply entangled in sinful patterns. I may yell and say hurtful things. I tend to become impatient and unloving towards my husband. I may distance myself from even people I consider dear friends, because I can feel the weight of being overburdened and will indulge in feelings of depression. I don't notice so much when I sin, or simply don't care.

As so, what do I need to do? Best case scenario is to stay on top of the weeds... Be consistent in my time in the Word and be faithful to pursue godliness. If I slip and get behind on weeds, commit a little time every day until I am back on track and things are under control... During the busy seasons of life, be creative, don't settle for letting the study of the Word slack, but instead listen to the Bible on CD or work on Scripture memory posted on the kitchen cabinet or taped to the bathroom mirror. Before things get too overwhelming, ask a friend to hold you accountable... if they see your weeds growing unattended, ask them to gently remind you to take some time... when they see you are more irritable that usually, beg them to reprove you and remind you to strive for those things which would be more pleasing to the Lord. If things do go out of control, call in someone who can help you pull weeds... confess, repent and seek forgiveness.

Can you tell I pulled weeds for 3 hours today? There are more lessons from my garden. But that is for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment