Monday, June 6, 2011

Silly talk...

So, I was saying about filters, that my first should be Scripture. I was asked to consider the following passage, Ephesians 5:3-4 which says, "But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks."

Immorality, impurity, greed, all are pretty obvious.
Coarse jesting, I cannot stand.
Filthiness, or filthy talk, I do not want to be around for.
Silly talk. Hmmmm... has me thinking... am I applying an appropriate amount of diligence to watch over my words to avoid this? Probably not.

I sense I will be dwelling on Philippians 4:8 more often... "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." (And for me, say only these things...)

A work in progress... refining my filters... I am thankful for God's Word which convicts and also encourages me to do what is right and pleasing in His sight.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy talking about spiritual things with you. Good thoughts about filters. In your verse, giving thanks is another filter. It's harder to complain or be selfish in my speech when I'm attempting to be thankful.

    ReplyDelete