Thursday, March 3, 2011

Knowing when to say when...

Soon it will be Friday... like in an hour... and every attempt we have made at school this week has been an utter failure. That seems to happen occasionally around here. And like this week, it usually revolves around the two littlest being ill, keeping mom up all night, and needing mom's full comforting abilities all day. The house seems to come crashing in around us... chores pile up, lessons get behind, errands don't get run, and mom gets grumpy.

As I ponder tomorrow, I wonder if it would be more prudent to say, "Well, we gave this week our best shot..." and take time tomorrow to recover and catch up or just keep pressing forward according to the lesson plans?!?!? I remember how God's Word tells us in Proverbs 16:9 - The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. I wonder on weeks like this if the Lord is simply seeking me to give my way fully to Him.

One thing I noticed, in the moments where we did get some academic subjects covered this week, was that our schedule needs to change. The one we are operating under right now was planned before Micah turned one. He was taking longer naps then. And he was getting into less when he was awake. Not so now. He is a full-time job. Just him. Add in Caleb and you could spend the day running and never stopping. But the other four need some of mom too. Time for a re-vamp.

So, tomorrow, the older children will do some seatwork. I will fold some laundry, and pick up some rooms. I will chase Micah and Caleb and get worried when things get too quiet. The kids will spend a lot of time out of doors. And I will ponder and pray about what to do about our little daily plan... and next week is a new week...

Any ideas on keeping two toddler boys busy are always welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts!

    That's an encouraging verse for me because it shows me how sometimes God's change of direction isn't a CORRECTION or DISCIPLINE but simply a needed change.

    WATER. You have such an amazing setup upstairs. Put your boys in the bathtub and read/ teach where you can see them playing. Or in the warm weather, get a little pool for the boys and put it outside, and do school outside where you can see everyone. That might be a little much for your style, but it has kept my sanity several times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, when you get ideas, pass them my way, I seem to be just where you are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michelle! I like the ideas of keeping the boys busy with water, both inside and out. :) And, yes, while not my traditional style, I am up for anything these days!

    ReplyDelete