Monday, March 21, 2011

Borrowing trouble from tomorrow...

I love illustrations. I don't mean that I enjoy comic books or must only have books with pictures in them. Instead, I am talking about word pictures. For example, I know that the Bible talks regularly about being anxious and how we should not fear. But honestly, I don't find myself often "afraid" in the sense that I am worried about some eminent physical danger. Sometimes, but not often, and so I risk not really understanding what God's Word has for me, the fullness and richness of this command.

And yet, as I read in Matthew about how the Lord describes His care for us, giving us reasons to not be anxious and fearful, I am reminded that while I may not have outright crippling fear of some imposing danger, I do often find myself overcome with the "what ifs" in life.

Jesus says in Matthew 6:34, "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." This comes after Jesus has described His Heavenly Father's perfect care for us in Matthew 6:25-33, how greatly God cares for the birds of the air and the flowers of the field and yet we tend to worry about what we will eat or what we will wear.

And there it is, a word picture which helps me to evaluate my heart in light of this Scriptural command. Even though I am not regularly looking about me with fearful trepidation, I am reminded how I will stay up at night wondering about upcoming events. I work through the different scenarios of how something might happen, and what my reaction should be to each different possibility... and there I go, borrowing trouble from tomorrow. Using up my opportunities to trust and serve the Lord today, where He has placed me for this very specific moment, to plan out my "right" reactions and responses to some unknown future possibility.

Do I think it is wrong to work through scenarios and plan out my responses? Not entirely, but I think an exercise like that is best used on thinking through and planning situations that you are certain to face, like how to help one of your children as they deal with conflict with a sibling or friend. Or thinking through how I could be more loving to my husband and think through ways I could be more sensitive to his needs and model an honoring and respectful tone for my children. Or considering how I would best encourage a friend who is struggling or facing difficulty in their marriage, parenting, other friendships.In fact, I think praying about, studying for and working through those scenarios are very good uses of my time.

Where do I borrow trouble from tomorrow? When I am waiting for a medical test and I am already thinking through my responses to hearing the different possibilities of outcomes... what if they find nothing... what if they diagnosis me with XYZ... what if it is cancer? Or when we consider looking at a property or house to buy and I immediately begin planning and stressing about how to make my house "show ready" to sell, and yet, we haven't even touched base with a Realtor, we have just seen a few photos.

No matter what the situation is, if I notice that I have become obsessed with answering questions that have no real concrete base for even being asked yet, I see that as borrowing trouble. And trouble it is too, as it steals my mind away from clearly thinking about my daily responsibilities, it places a focus on myself and self-sufficiently addressing the "issue" without relying on God. I usually lose sleep over these imaginary scenarios, as well as even noticing that I will lack patience with those around me (usually the children or my husband) because my mind is so entrenched in the unknown.

Then I remember, Matthew 6:34 and the preceding verses and I am reminded that God's perfect care for me will not allow one hair on my head to be touched without His ordaining it. Other verses reminding me about His good plans for me from Jeremiah, Romans, James, God's promises come flooding over me, reminding me to trust and not fear, believe and not grow anxious, have faith and quiet my heart, trusting wholly in the One who knows the end from the beginning.

Instead of being anxious, I must turn my sights on being thankful for the perfect care from a Holy Father who knows all and does all things well. And so, this morning, I turn my sights to focus on what the Lord has called me to, today.

1 comment: