Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My First Homeschool Conference

On Sunday night, May 26th, our family packed up the car and began our 14.5 hour journey to Omaha Nebraska.  This is our 2013 summer vacation.  We spent the first few days visiting friends that we met at our church but had since moved on due to military assignments, and then the last 3 days we attended the Teach Them Diligently Homeschool conference.  We had attended smaller regional homeschool conferences in the past, but this was our first really big conference.  Let me tell you, it was AWESOME.  Even if you don't homeschool, it was just an awesome time of teaching and encouraging families in God's word!

One of the themes that I heard over and over in different sessions was that we (Christian families) should blog.  With the continued daily growth of the Internet, and the fact that many individuals sole source of information is online, blogging helps those who might be seeking the truth of God but not know where to find it (in His holy word).  There seemed to be great focus at this event on family discipleship, marriage, discernment in entertainment and homeschooling in the 21st century.

So, here we go, my first blog.

One of the sessions that I attended was presented by author Lou Priolo.  The session was titled "I wish she came with an owner's manual".  This is a chapter out of his book The Complete Husband.  I will share some of the highlights from this session (which of course caused me to purchase the book that I am now reading).

I loved this statement:  "Your wife does come with an owner's manual.  The reason you've never seen it is because it's tucked away in her heart."  You have to be a great interviewer to get that information out of her. 1 Pet 3:7 is not a suggestion but a command from God!

Here is another nugget:  "Have you ever seriously considered, that were it not for the Bible, you wouldn't be able to have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ?  If it weren't for God's written revelation of Himself to man, you simply wouldn't be able to know enough to become a Christian.  How about you?  To what extend do you reveal yourself to your wife?  Are you ashamed and afraid to do so?  Do selfishness, pride, laziness or ignorance keep you from disclosing that information to your wife?  To what extend does your wife reveal herself to you?  Is she ashamed or afraid to do so?  What would you say prevents her from disclosing that information to you?"

I am praying that I will take this information that I learned and continue to learn as we listen to the recordings and read the books that we purchased, and apply it to myself first and then to my wife and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment