Saturday, June 22, 2013

Light at the end of the tunnel...

Tomorrow or Monday the flooring projects downstairs should be done and I should get half of my house back. I am very much looking forward to moving back in. Living almost entirely in a hallway and the dining room for two weeks has been difficult. Tuesday will be carpet day for the upstairs, then I will spend the rest of the week putting the whole house back together.

While I am really looking forward to finishing our project off with new kitchen cabinets and countertops, I think we will take a week off and just get used to our house again before relocating the entire contents of the kitchen for more construction.

What have I learned during this process?!?!?! I have learned that I do not do well in constant upheaval, and that I say things I regret when I am overwhelmed. I have learned that when I humble myself and ask forgiveness of the recipients of my verbal explosions, I am humbled further by their quickness to forgive and reconcile. I have learned that I really, really, really like to have my coffee before I realize I need my coffee. My kids agree that I am a nicer mommy with coffee than I am when I am without coffee. I have been encouraged that all the purging I did in the spring months made this renovation possible. I am also convinced that there is more that could go.

Here are some "where we are at right now" photos... Can't wait for the "all done" photos! :)

Our new tile pattern... front entry, back door, kitchen and bathrooms... LOVE IT!!!

The pool is dug, framed, plumbed and waiting for gunite... MONDAY!

My living room a couple of days ago... today it also houses my refrigerator, oven, washer and dryer... 
Oh! Something else we have learned... we are not DIYers. At least not for construction projects that disrupt the functionality of our home. We have struggled to survive living here while someone else did all the hard work, much less doing the work ourselves. And, I don't think I have ever looked more forward to cleaning my house than I do right now...

1 comment:

  1. you have a pool in your back yard and a toilet in your living room!? you guys are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete