Thursday, February 23, 2012

Self control has its rewards...

Many of you know that the last few years have found me in the midst of some crazy medical issues. At one point, I had endured four abdominal surgeries in 20 months and still have some lingering complications. All that has made losing the baby weight from 5 consecutive pregnancies followed by back to back surgeries difficult, to say the least.

A few months ago my wonderful sister-in-law, Tracey, started coming to my house to do some personal training with me. I was super excited because I really wanted to get in shape. Really, really. After a few workouts it became apparent that this was not my season. The pain which had prompted the last surgery came back with a vengeance, crippling me from being able to the daily tasks of a keeper-at-home and homeschooling mom to six little blessings. So, Tracey still comes twice a week, and she gives me an amazing back rub and we share our lives together, spending time talking about the Lord and all He is doing in our lives.

For a while after I discovered that working out was too painful I pouted. Mature, ehe? I have always been able to work out to lose unwanted weight. I really like food and would much rather intensely work out than not eat. And I didn't feel like I ate too much, I wasn't continually gaining weight, just not losing any. I already spend a large part of the day cooking for my large crew and the thought of making something separate for me to "diet" with was mind boggling and discouraging. So, I did nothing. And to no surprise, nothing happened.

Then, in January of this year I caught a stomach virus, three times. The first two times I just felt so wiped out but never got officially "sick". The third time was the charm and I was out for the count and thankful that we guard TV so much than when I need to overdose my children on it so I can lay in bed and feel miserable all day, they are happy to comply. As I was recovering I thought to myself, "This may have be a good start to a diet..."

So, I pondered what I thought I could do to diet... without adding in a lot more cooking or food prep time. I started getting up earlier than the kids (which I should always do but sadly, don't) and eating a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit. I sometimes have a KIND bar (Dark Chocolate and Cherry with nuts). I occasionally have a small greek yogurt with KIND granola. Then, when the kids are eating their breakfast I just read aloud. For lunch I modify what they are having. When we have sandwiches, I leave out the bread and just eat the insides (turkey, avocado, tomato and lettuce), otherwise I either have a small portion of what I make for them or rip up some lettuce for a salad and toss in whatever veggies, fruit or nuts I can find. Dinner is usually a repeat of lunch. Eating out is the hardest, I try to eat only half of the food that is served, or just share with one of the kids.

What I didn't give up: coffee, chocolate and sugar. Coffee is a non-negotiable. Seriously, I am still a mom of six children who are 10 and under. :) Chocolate and sugar I am not refraining from, just trying to be reasonable... instead of two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, I am trying to do one and a half or less... instead of a handful of bittersweet chocolate chips when I feel snacky or snarky, I only grab two or three and eat them slowly (reminding myself that sweet words are like honey-comb, healing to the bones).

So, after three rounds of stomach virus and 6 weeks of "dieting", I jumped onto a scale today to see if it was making any difference. I was thrilled to see that all the work was paying off... twenty pounds... TWENTY pounds... gone... hopefully for good! And I am encouraged to press on. And I am thankful for my children having an opportunity to watch me struggle with the flesh, and be able to praise the Lord and manifest the fruit of self control.

What do you do to be responsible with food? To stay fit? Any tips? I am sure I have lots to learn! 

7 comments:

  1. well, my dear, i'm doing nothing right now...so thanks so much for the encouragement because I've felt a little bad about it lately. especially since my knee issues pretty much keep me from doing anything that would help in this area. I did try to cut down on my sugar for a week...must start that up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gab, I didn't know you had knee pain! I would suggest keeping sugar and cutting out food... it makes for a much happier diet. :) And I am only half kidding. :P But seriously, I think I have always failed at dieting because I would take away all the "happy" foods (things I love), so this time I am keeping them and just being wise to not be a glutton, and then I am realizing that I don't play competitive volleyball any more so I should stop eating the portions I ate when I spent 3 hours a day in the gym. It has been good... and humbling. :)

      Delete
  2. Denise!!!!

    Congrats...20!!! I can't wait to see the new you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When do you plan to come see me?!?!?! I still have 40 more pounds to go, but I am thrilled with this start! Of course, I was out all day and didn't eat the best... oh well, new day tomorrow! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. That's great!! in 6 weeks? nice!! I've had to realize that I'm not one of those persons who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. Sad, but true! Mostly I just do portion control, I can have sweets, but everything in moderation. So yes, self-control is good! I just started going to the gym and am enjoying getting to know my energetic side : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have to remember that I did get the stomach virus three times in two weeks, I assume that gave me a running head start! :P

      We are about to join the YMCA in Schertz, so I am hoping to add in a little bit of more active time. I still can't seem to understand how running after Micah and Caleb and the other four doesn't count for an aerobic activity! :)

      Delete
  4. Denise,

    Elliott posted a link to your blog so I started reading some of your entries and came across this one! Just wanted to say congrats!! That's AWESOME!! Keep up the good work, and hopefully no more stomach bugs :) Love you all and miss you! Hopefully our paths will cross again in the near future! You know you are always welcome in VA :) Also wanted to let you know that we will be praying for Elliott's dad and your family I know that has to be rough! Grandpa Frazee has been having some heart issues and for now is stable, but we know that his time is limited as well as all of ours is in the big scheme of things.. Keep him in your prayers as well!

    -Mor-

    ReplyDelete