Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Listening aloud...

We have embarked upon a new school year, and with it, we have been striving to form some new habits and priorities. Some things are more of a return to old things that had somehow disappeared from our daily routine (like morning family worship and daily work on handicrafts).

Our new morning schedule seems to be working well assuming I keep on top of everyone. I have also been writing up the framework for our day on the big whiteboard in the hallway, the children who can read can now answer the "what are we doing today" question for themselves. I love that!

Each day I have been writing up "read aloud" and "handicrafts". A handful of years ago, the non-napping children and I would steal away to the couches in the afternoon during naptime for the youngest ones and I would read aloud and they would work on handicrafts (embroidery, knitting, crochet, loopy projects, etc.). We all loved the time, but I always felt a little left out on the handicraft part and I got very little work done on projects. My consolation was that I loved reading aloud to the children and we all loved meeting the various characters that came to life from page to page.

Somewhere in the hustle and bustle of life, our designated time of handicrafts and reading aloud through the afternoon fell away. Recently, one of the girls asked me to knit her a teddy bear. Then her sister asked for one too. Then her other sister asked for one. Then the littlest brother requested a "cowboy teddy bear". I haven't knit for nearly a year and I had no idea when to fit it in but I said I would try.

A friend mentioned that she and her kids were listening to a Librovox recording of The Secret Garden and it was read by one of our favorite readers, Karen Shallenberg (www.kayray.org). I had an idea. I downloaded the files to my phone and asked the kids if they would mind listening to KayRay read the book instead of me, explaining I could then work on knitting projects during our newly re-instituted handicrafts time in the afternoons. They all agreed.

We have spent three or four lovely afternoons listening to KayRay read The Secret Garden and I have nearly finished knitting the first of my long list of teddy bear orders. The girls have worked on needle felting, knitting, cross stitching, and the boys have made Perler bead creations or played with Duplos.

Today, as we were making the transition from school time to handicrafts time, Hannah said, "Mom, is it time for 'Listening Aloud' time?" I grinned at her and noticed how pleased she was with herself and her little joke (since I am no longer reading to them myself). We turned on KayRay and all got to work, it has been a nice and enjoyable part of our afternoons. We are all looking forward to our "listening aloud" time every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment