Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Initially skeptical...

When the duct tape craze started a couple of years ago, I was thankful that we didn't have TV so my children wouldn't find out about it. I had visions of children taping each other up and my tables and chairs never looking the same again. Alas, they have friends, and one day they asked for duct tape...

Besides thinking "why would anyone ever want a duct tape wallet?", I was reluctant to get them started with it because duct tape is, well, not cheap! I always try to use a coupon when a duct tape purchase is required but the cost is still a hard one to swallow. As I buy it, I try not to think of  the numerous almost projects consisting of many "balls" and "bookmarks" and blobs of "it stuck together, I don't know how that happened"!

But, yesterday, while I was organizing and purging in the office turned TV room (I love, love, love not having a TV in the living room), the girls set to working with duct tape. Occasionally, they would call me over to help, providing a pleasant break for me and eventually what we came out with was three bags, and an Etsy-inspired wallet (thanks for the link, Michelle).


These are the purses Grace and Faith made. Faith opted for handles and Grace preferred a strap. 

Hannah made these cute projects. She embroidered the owl on the front of the wallet that makes a pocket. She loves owls. 

The success of the day reminded me of when we started embroidering, and I thought they would never "get it". But, with lots and lots of practice, and lots and lots of "how did you make that knot and not notice?", one day they "got it". I doubt that I will ever personally think of making things out of duct tape, but knowing that the children can now make usable (and quite durable) projects, I don't think I will be cringing as much when we need to refill the duct tape basket. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! The kids approve of the projects! (And we have to wait for the duct tape to come in the mail! Not very many choices at the craft store here. But we have a craft store so I am not complaining!)

    ReplyDelete