Thursday, October 11, 2012

One step at a time...

I would have said "one day at a time", but my children can attest to the fact that I am woefully unaware of days right now. The last two weeks have been a blur, a fog, a vacuum of time. James died one week ago today in that small, dark hospital room in San Marcos, with Joyce and me by his side. The plans made, funeral had, family and friends come and gone. It is still surreal, not fully sinking in, but on the other hand very real. My days are jumbled, too many days of going to bed in the early morning of the next day have thrown off my usually dependable inner calendar, upset routines and lack of order compounding that issue. It seems like what happened a week ago happened yesterday, and ten years ago.

And yet, God has so graciously showered us with the love of His people, through offers to watch children, and meals delivered, cards received and bouquets of beautiful flowers that seem to light up the room joyfully. Right when I feel like I might fall apart, a child brings me a new drawing and reminds me that God loves me and that He has a perfect plan. Just as I feel like I might be getting on track, a child floods a bathroom with a plunger. And in the midst, God is graciously leading us, teaching us patience with one another and showing us how to love our children through their childish moments. Losing James has taught us to value life and the moments we have differently. It is something we "knew" but now we really know, the frailty of life is no longer theoretical, it is more real now.

Tomorrow we resume art class, until five minutes ago I had no idea what to teach. Because of Google I will seem well prepared. Saturday we have a garage sale at my mom's house, the days keep ticking away, a sense of normalcy returning one step at a time. God's grace is sufficient for each moment, one step at a time.

4 comments:

  1. Please tell Elliott that I read his Eulogy even though I couldn't come to the funeral. I was very proud that I know both of you. It was very moving and I know that Mr. Franklin's life was honored by your family knowing the Lord. It says a lot of man's life to raise a son who believes in God and inspires others to do so.

    We will all miss him. It makes me sad to think about it.

    I also read your story about Aaron and I thought it was sweet. It made me cry. (Which is relatively easy when this pregnant)

    I realized that tomorrow was Elliott's birthday. I hope you have nice family celebration for him!

    Love Your Sister in Christ,

    Jennifer (Organ) Smart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sorry to hear about James. It is weird...I have not been to this site since 2009 when Elliott sent out a mass announcement about the birth of Micah. I was going through old emails for an account that I don't even really use anymore tonight and came across the email announcing the birth and thought I would pop on over to see what all has been going on.

    Anyway, your family will be in my thoughts. I can't really imagine what you all must be going through.

    Take care,
    Hans Overton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise, I am so sorry to hear of James's passing. I read your blog posts and Elliott's Eulogy just today after hearing the news from Hans. It just so happens today is the second anniversary of my grandfather's passing. I just want to share with you and your family that a new sense of "normal" will one day happen, but it does take awhile. I know that your family is strong and full of love, and that together you will be "ok" again. Much love and prayers to you all,
    Jeannie Preciado

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words, I passed them all on to Elliott. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers for our family during this time.

    ReplyDelete