Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New bed excitement...

Over 11 years ago when Elliott and I married, our bed was the bed Elliott had gotten when he set up his apartment after graduating from college. The term "firm" is not sufficient to describe how HARD this mattress was. There were a few spots on the floor of our apartment that seemed to have more give. Growing up I had always slept on super squishy beds, my favorite was my old fashioned water bed, falling in and being swallowed up by pillowy softness was all I had ever known. I never got used to that bed, but I did wake up achy every morning.

Then Elliott had a growth spurt about a year into our marriage. All of a sudden, my little 5'4" legs had no where to go as this newly towering 6'5" guy was sleeping at a strange angle to accommodate for his feet now draping off the end of the bed. We had just moved in to our new home in Bulverde. We were buying some furniture, replacing the lumpy futon with a real couch, purchasing a bed frame and dressers, leaving the college dorm room/first apartment look behind. In the midst of it all, I pushed for a new bed. The new "air" beds had come out and I was totally sold on the idea that I could have my side of the bed as soft and squishy as I liked and he could set his side to the concrete floor setting. 

Through the years we have both changed. He likes his bed to have a little give now and I have come to appreciate a little bit of firmness. I have been having trouble sleeping lately, blaming it almost entirely on my insomnia, but then Elliott began having difficulty too. His troubles came mostly because his side of the bed has a slow leak, so by morning he is sleeping on the box spring. After much discussion and absolutely no research we decided to go buy a new mattress.

We took the lay-on-the-bed-in-the-store-even-though-you-feel-like-a-big-dork-doing-it approach. We also took all six kids, Elliott having told them they could lay on all the beds at the store too. Yes, we were those people, our kids were less than their normally well behaved selves as they bounced up and down and laid on different beds. There was only one minor injury from the monkeys jumping on the beds. :)

Elliott and I laid on a couple of beds, then I found one that I really liked. We waited to ask the salesman about it. He mentioned that it was the same bed that is used in the Westin brand of hotel rooms. I just stayed at a Westin hotel in California in July. I had never slept on such a comfortable bed in my life. Ever. I actually fell asleep in the middle of a conversation with my friend while I laid on that bed. I have never done that before. So, when the sales guys said that was the same mattress, I was sold. He could have told me that he was going to charge me extra because I liked it and I would probably have paid it. Thankfully, he didn't. Actually, he gave us the King bed at the Queen price which was a huge savings.

My new bed gets delivered tomorrow. I am super excited. Giddy, actually. I can't wait to go to sleep tomorrow! Yippee! I must admit, I never thought in my wildest dreams I would have ever written a blog post about a mattress. I am super excited. Oh, I already said that. :)

1 comment: