Saturday, September 17, 2011

Every good gift...

... and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father... James 1:17

Job 2:10 says, "Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?"

In 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, Paul in addressing the thorn in flesh recounts how God told him, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." to which Paul says, "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. ... For when I am weak, then I am strong."

James 1:2-4 reminds me to "Count it all joy" in every situation, knowing that enduring the test or trial will refine me and that Romans 8:28-29 teaches that the purpose is for my good, that I might be conformed to the image of Christ.

So, I keep reminding myself of truth. God is Sovereign. Each moment is providential. Even in the midst of ongoing unknown pain, God is at work for my good and His glory. The CT scan I had last week, a follow-up to my exploratory surgery in May, showed nothing. And as I sit in Houston, providing a break for my mother-in-law from the 24/7 care of my father-in-law recovering from surgery for brain cancer, I remember that God has a good purpose in this.

I am also learning how to talk with my children about God's plans and how even when His will differs from what we might deem as "good", we can still trust, through faith, what the Bible says. God is good and does good, blessed be the name of the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment