Thursday, September 8, 2011

My love of ellipses...

If you have read my blog for any time at all, you may have noticed my severe overuse of ellipses. If you know I am a homeschooler,  you may wonder at what I will teach my children come time to learn proper punctuation usage. But more than anything, if you have ever spent more than 10 minutes in my house when all six of my little blessings are awake, you will understand the ellipses.

I marvel at the number of times I can be distracted in the middle of a sentence or thought... insert ellipse here... I will be standing in the kitchen preparing a meal and hear a THUD followed quickly by a strangely loud scream... another ellipse... I will strut into a room with great purpose and not have any idea why I am there... my mind is full of ellipses... I will be giving an instruction to a child when the phone rings or there is a knock at the door... here I will insert a smiley face and to cover up the fact that I can't remember what we were talking about... :) ... or maybe, I just decide to ask you if you are interested in a coffee because that is what I do... right after an ellipse... and it gives us something new to talk about... yummy coffee... something else I probably talk too much about...

But I also like ellipses as I dwell on the Word of God. I use them to journal, when I am more concerned with thinking on God, who He is and what He is like, than I am about proper grammar.

God is powerful... to heal... to save... over the wildfires... to change my heart...
Jesus is my example... to walk in love... to encourage and guide... to admonish in love... in all things...
God's Word is truth... is infallible... is sufficient... is comforting...
What love is... 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a... and why do I struggle so much to love like this...
What love looks like in action... Romans 12:9-21...and how am I doing...

The key is to eventually fill in the ellipses... I have to regularly remind myself to not forget to finish the sentence, the thought, the conversation... to do that, I will probably need to meet you for coffee after bedtime... just tell me when is good for you... :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! After next week Lee has a bunch of overnight shifts! This sounds even better than 5:30 coffee mornings! (next week is open, for that, btw!)

    I like these thoughts on ellipses. :)

    ReplyDelete