Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A lizard named "Fishy", and a buffalo named "Billy"...

Today my littlest little turned two. The realization that there will be no more babies settles in a little more each day. The transition has been bittersweet. I miss the feeling of a new baby growing and changing and kicking inside me. I miss the snuggles, and nursing and cuddles and sweet baby smells. That is the bitter.

The sweet comes in when I realize that I have never been able to fully appreciate this stage before. As much as I love those little babies, they can be all consuming. I have never had a two-year-old without an infant. I am cherishing the little silly moments with Micah, the little unintelligible words, the surprisingly understandable ones, and the great excitement over new discoveries. It has been a joy to watch him begin to grow and develop into a full little person.

Micah makes us all laugh. He is the family comedian. He is already showing his creativity... like how he names his toys. He chose a lizard stuffed animal at the Omaha Zoo, he named it "Fishy" and he laughs at himself every time he calls its name. My mom brought him a stuffed Buffalo from a business trip to Kansas recently, he named it Billy, no doubt, influenced by Noah talking about Buffalo Bill a lot. He shows his problem solving skills all the time, as we have learned that nothing, absolutely NOTHING, stands in his way... if he is too short to reach something, that is why there are stools and chairs... if a door is locked, that is what butter knives are for... if his stomach is empty, he raids the pantry... He can unlock the deadbolt to the front and back doors. He loves cars and making car noises. He loves water, and plays in it, drinks in, spills it, splashes in it. He goes to sleep with a smile on his face after telling everyone "night-night". He wakes up cuddling his "bay-beh" and wanting to be held for a little while... before going back to climbing, eating, splashing, etc.

This season in my life has truly illustrated to me the truth of Ecclesiastes 3. There are times ordained by God for all things. My time for having babies is over. I can't even write that without tears welling up in my eyes. And at the same time, I can't help but rejoice in the new season the Lord has brought. I am able to serve in my local church in ways that would have been impossible only a year ago.

Happy Birthday, sweet Micah, I am praising the Lord for you and all you have brought to our family. Blessed be the name of the Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment