Thursday, February 24, 2011

Digging in the dirt...

I am looking forward to breakfast tomorrow morning. Not because the menu will be anything noteworthy or fantastic, but because today my kids and I helped prepare the soil in a square-foot garden. We rooted up weeds and grass. We turned the soil over. We added manure. We mixed it in. We leveled it out and then were able to say, "It is ready." We even found some signs of last year's crops (some tomato skins, zucchini vine, and other decaying vegetable matter). We also were able to observe the larvae of some Rhinoceros Beetles, and in case you are wondering, yes, they can pinch even as larvae, and Hannah will attest to it not feeling fantastic.

So, I am looking forward to breakfast in the morning. I am excited to draw from their experience at the farm today, that they might have a fresh appreciation of how much work it is to prepare the soil for a harvest of fruits and vegetables. I hope to discuss with the kids in a more tangible way the parable of the soils which we have been going through in church. I am looking forward to watching the Word of God come alive to the children. I am thankful for the dirt under my nails which will afford me the opportunity to discuss God's truth with my kids.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking this week, as I hear people talk about it, that it's time to work on the garden again. I'm still TRYING to like gardening. It's just not on my list of top things to do...so thanks for inspiring me a little bit more!

    ReplyDelete