Friday, February 14, 2014

What I am used to...

Inevitably, when I take out all six of our children in public mid-day, someone comes up to me and has a question or comment about our flock. Usually it's something like "are they all yours?!?!?" The pretty normal response when I claim them all as mine is some where between "oh my!" and "bless your heart!" Occasionally there is the person who mutters as they walk away, probably commenting on their imagined view of my mental status. Thankfully, that is more rare, and I generally enjoy interacting with strangers about my children. 

Today the kids and I went to lunch with my mom. Our favorite new place is a gourmet burger joint called "Order Up!" near the Quarry Market in the Lincoln Heights shopping center. We don't go often, it's a huge treat as they are super GF friendly, all the way to the end of the meal with fresh baked GF Chocolate Chip Cookies. 

As I was refilling our Prickly Pear Pink Lemonade, a woman approached me and said, "They aren't all related are they?" No one has ever asked it like that before, but I assured her they were all siblings. Her response made me blush, "I told my friends that there was no way they were all from the same family, they get along too nicely!" It was a sweet moment, and super encouraging. I hope and pray that friendship and kindness characterizes our children more and more as they continue to grow in Christlikeness. 

*Not to spoil the mood of this cheerful post, the children were fighting about 6 1/2 minutes later when it was time to take a seat in the car to leave. I just laughed to myself. They are definitely related. :)

3 comments:

  1. and today as I had them all at Order Up I was trying to get drinks with kids (all being sweet) in tow, and feeling stressed because of the person behind me waiting, and she just sweetly said "Oh I understood. You have your hands FULL."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just laughed so hard I almost started crying. :)

      Delete
  2. It's so wonderful to get encouraging comments from others! I remember taking my kids (about ages 7 and 11) to an Amish farmer's market in Philadelphia. We ate lunch at a diner counter and were served by an older Amish man. At the end of the meal, he gave me the bill and quietly remarked, "Your children are quite mannerly." Made my vacation!! Laura Mrachek

    ReplyDelete