Friday, May 25, 2012

iPhone woes...

My beloved iPhone has been acting up lately. When my "hunting sound" text alert sounds, it sometimes shorts out mid-trumpeting. Occasionally, my phone chooses not to ring when it is set to ring. Little annoyances which prompted a trip to the Apple store this evening on a date with my husband.

While we waited for our appointment at the "Genius Bar" we visited over our lattes from Starbucks. I looked at cool phone covers (mine had become pretty grungy). We watched the TV above the Genius Bar show us all sorts of cool stuff we never knew we needed to know how to do on our various Apple products.

The folks at the Apple Store were super cool. They totally took my word for it that my phone has been acting crazy and just gave me a new one. I wasn't expecting that! I was completely prepared to have to be phone-less for a week or something nutty like that. The genius guy helping us asked when I had backed up last. I said it was within the last two weeks and I hadn't really done much since then.

So, they swapped out phones, completely wiping all data and everything from my old phone and set my new one to auto-update as soon as I plugged it into my laptop. After the completion of our date and giving kids baths, Elliott plugged everything in and I waited. And waited. And waited while it looked like my new iPhone was being restored from my last back-up.

But then I got an error message. Something was wrong with the backup. Or the version on my new phone was different from my old phone. Or something like that. Whatever it was it meant that my new iPhone is absolutely dumb, absent of all helpful info like phone numbers, emails, photos.

Sigh.

Deep breath.

Cross my fingers and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment