Sunday, April 3, 2011

Disaster averted...

Or at least I hope so. My next baking project will tell the tale as to whether that is true or not. I was mixing flour tonight and needed to put 6 3/4 cups brown rice flour into each of 3 containers. I happily scooped and measured the five different flours for the first batch of three triple-sized recipes. Then, I shook them all up, mixing nicely and filled the gallon-sized ziplock bags.

But something was wrong...

The bags were too full...

Why would that be when I measured correctly...

Then, it occurred to me. I had scooped 6 cups of flour into each one using the 1 1/2 cup measuring cup! I had chosen that measuring cup to make things "easier". Well, that didn't work.

So, I reverted to good old fashioned math. I needed to figure out how much extra brown rice flour I had put into each batch, then compensate for that with the other 4 flours. Thankfully, I figured it out and hand mixed with a whisk the flours to fix my mistake... It took forever... and how well I mixed it and whether or not my math was right will be discovered the first time I bake with these bags of flour. I eventually made 10 triple-sized batches of flour.

What does that mean?

Well, my baking will either be as good as it normally is, and I won't need to mix flour for a while OR we will be living through some lean months with meager baking success. I hope the former is true. I really, really do!

I wish I could blame the mistake on being tired or distracted. But, I just honestly forgot it was a 1 1/2 cup measuring cup. That said, it is likely I never will again.

Ahhh, the wonders of "convenience". Sometimes, they are not so wonderful...

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear! The joys of mixing your own flours! HA Don't worry though, you are not the only one... I have to be careful in just counting... one... two... three... yes Joshua? Mommy is trying to do something... uh where was I? ROFL
    Heres to hoping you have great baking! :-)

    ReplyDelete