Friday, April 8, 2011

Contemplating weeds...

I love weeds. They challenge me. They make me think about my own life and the spiritual battles I face and the many ways in which temptations come. I also love the definition of the word "weed" - a plant that is not valued where it is growing and is usually of vigorous growth: one that tends to choke out more desirable plants. Every time I see a weed, I think of sin.

Right now if you came into my yard, all 1/4 acre of it, you would see some things. New St. Augustine grass is beginning to peek out from underneath the dormant grass of winter. Leaf buds on trees and new growth on shrubs and flowers. Vegetable plants beginning to grow in height and strength, preparing to put forth flowers and await pollination unto fruitfulness. Spring is in full bloom and it is beautiful to behold it, remembering our marvelous Creator God who called it all into being with a simple word.

And then, you will notice something else... weeds.

Some of the weeds in my yard are ostentatious, they catch your eye right away, they make you squirm to think about pulling out their horrible thorny leaves. Those plants make me think of anger and bitterness. Their roots go so deep and they are horribly difficult to completely remove, many times a small piece of root remains and the weed returns in full vigor, stronger in root than before. Of course, like with sin, anger and bitterness in our hearts are thorny and hurtful in our relationships. A yard left alone with this type of plant would be filled and uninhabitable in a few years. Isn't our heart the same way? Left alone to stew over bitterness and anger, and our relationships would be in shambles and our lives a mess. Even if you are able to pull the entire root out of one of these well-groomed weeds, the hole in your yard is noticeable, and even as the grass overtakes where the weed once resided, there remains a little divot as a reminder. Oh, the heartache of a relationship destroyed by anger and bitterness, even after being mended.

Yet, that weed did not begin as nothing and appear as huge and overwhelming overnight. It was once a small little weed, just first putting out its leaves and roots. So new are it's leaves that there is no real "poke" to the thorny edges yet. When approached in these early stages, the root can be removed easily and completely. Same with anger, dealt with before bitterness sets in. The Bible even says in Ephesians 4:26, "Be angry and do not sin;" - instead deal with the offense or provocation in a God-honoring way as in Matthew 18, seek forgiveness or give it, and pull the weed of anger out before the damaging root of bitterness sets in. Deal with the problem before it becomes a real problem. Don't ignore those first few fragile leaves, kill them with forgiveness and repentance.

I have the kids as a warning system for me, they run in from playing outside to let me know of "new little poky weeds". What alarms can I use to alert and remind me of the dangers of anger and bitterness taking root in my heart? God's Word which reminds me to "seek peace and pursue it" (Psalm 34:14, 1 Peter 3:11).

More on other weeds in my heart, and my yard, later...

No comments:

Post a Comment