Friday, September 10, 2010

A time to sit...

Solomon speaks of there being different seasons in our lives in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8:
     For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
     a time to be born, and a time to die;
     a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 
     a time to kill, and a time to heal;
     a time to break down, and a time to build up;
     a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
     a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
     a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
     a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
     a time to seek, and a time to lose;
     a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
     a time to tear, and a time to sew;
     a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
     a time to love, and a time to hate;
     a time for war, and a time for peace.

Recently, it has been my appointed season to sit, to rest, to limit my "normal" activity. This is not my strong-suit, I like to be doing! When I am in the midst of doing life I will sometimes dream of sitting and resting, but I hardly ever take the time to (unless a good Jane Austen movie is involved). I love being a keeper-at-home, a mommy, a homeschooler, a friend. I love ministering to the Body of Christ when there is a need, and reaching out to my neighbors seeking opportunities for the Gospel. I love baking really yummy, no-one-would-be-the-wiser gluten-free food. The one thing that all those things have in common is NOT sitting! 

I have been pondering what I could do during this season of sitting... one friend suggested I write encouraging notes to other women... another suggested I learn a new stitch in knitting (and I did!)... I have started learning to crochet... I am working very hard to answer my children with gentleness and kindness on my lips (and in my heart)... I have picked out some good books to read, some just for me, others to share. 

I have been trying to "watch" my day, see how things flow, see if there are areas where I could improve, change, tweak... one area is certainly in the menu planning department, so I am hoping that in the next month or so, I can come up with some sort of menu plan that will help me meet the needs of our little home as I get back to "normal" in the coming months. I also have more time than ever before to sit and observe the interactions of my children, taking note of some areas where we can more diligently be imparting the truth of God's Word into their lives. Would I have noticed these things, seen these holes or even considered slowing down to "watch" had I not been forced?

Of all things, I am most thankful that I have a God who knows me better than I know myself. He knows how easily I get distracted by busyiness and doing, and He knows what it takes to get my attention. He knew that at this perfect moment in time I needed to spend some time sitting... at His feet, with His Word, trusting in His time.

For everything there is a season... a time to sit...

1 comment:

  1. Love you Denise! So glad God has given you this gift of "sitting" and that you are obediently making the most of it! Oh how He will be glorified in the days and weeks to come as you are able to put in to practice what He has taught you through this time. Wish I could be there to help! We could share coffee and Jane Austen together! Love you! Here's a hug from miles away.--shellie grant

    ReplyDelete