Monday, May 3, 2010

School's out...

We had planned to school through June and take July off, then pick back up again in August. We tend to school year-round-ish, the intent is to do school when there is no reason not to so we can take off when we need to. That is one of the reasons school is out now... a little early... sort of unexpectedly...


Caleb, our 2yo, is having sinus surgery on Thursday. He has had life-long health issues and after many doctors and numerous tests and lots of pondering, the doctors have decided that the culprit is likely in his sinuses and we are proceeding with surgery which, we pray, will act like a "reset button" on his health.

The question loomed in my mind for a while... what to do about school... keep going or not... but I have decided that in the unknown of the next few weeks, one less thing would be best. The weather is still mild (for Texas), so I am planning for a lot of time to be spent outside, soaking up the sun and chasing bugs. When Caleb is feeling tired or hurting, I am planning on cuddling up with movies and popcorn or reading aloud from our favorite books.

While the children are playing, I will work on organizing the books... art supplies... projects... We're setting up a new classroom for the coming school year, I will put that together as time allows... Lesson plans... maybe a full year of them... and we will plan on starting as soon as we get home from our vacation in July...

School's out... I am on the verge of excited... I wonder what the kids will think when I tell them tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. I think they will be super-excited! lol! : )

    Praying for you guys, especially on Thursday,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wise choice. So what did the kids say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids were cool with it, they understand. I was surprised one of them didn't say something like, "And how will this be different from most of the year so far?!?!?!?" Thank you for the prayers for Thursday also, they are quite appreciated!

    ReplyDelete