Sunday, May 2, 2010

Digging in the dirt...

Today I finally got around to doing one of the things that has been on my "to-do" list for some time now... rescue my from flower beds from the Bermuda grass takeover... it all began in earnest last summer during my pregnancy with Micah which just happened to coincide with the hottest summer ever on record! When warmer weather peeked its head out a few months ago I had begun, from the street towards the house, working on cutting back old/dead stuff and pulling out pesky weeds and grass which had meandered into my flower beds. As much as I wanted to continue, life happened and this or that kept me from the task...

But today, I was prompted by my dear husband to figure out where I wanted to plant the 3 rose bushes I had purchased and PLANT THEM! Truth be told, I had absolutely no idea where I was going to plant them when I bought them... just wanted them... I love roses... moreover, I love rose bushes, they are a gift that keeps on giving!

So, I trudged out to the front yard... I looked... and in the back corner of the planting beds, on the right side of the front porch, I noticed the perfect spot for my new rose bushes. But, there was a problem... there were already plants there. Good news, I had already pulled out some rosemary bushes out of the beds this week (they were completely taking over), so I had somewhere to move the other plants to. Bad news, I have no idea what I am doing... never before have I transplanted plants that were actively (and successfully) growing... so, with shovel and hoe and rake in hand, I went to work. I also took the time to thoroughly eradicate the right side of my yard from the hostile take-over of grass... I am contemplating doing the left side tomorrow... and we shall see if the transplants survive... if they do, I have some more rearranging plans...

Seriously, I love digging in the dirt. I think I found about 10 earthworms today, and got genuinely excited every time. I was able to marvel at the many wonderful plants that God has created for me to enjoy... I was surprised (and quite pleased) to find the first calla lily bloom on the plant Elliott bought me three years ago that I thought I had killed... I got so giddy thinking about taking care of this little plot of land the Lord has blessed me with... thinking about different transplanting projects and also how to get the kids involved... such a great afternoon.

So, if you see me in the next couple of days and wonder why my hands are a strange shade of dirty, or if you think my nose seems a little pink... both observations are correct... though I scrub and scrub my hands won't fully shed the color of the dirt I dug in today... and though my sweet husband put up a cover for me to stay out of the sun, I never stayed in one place long enough to stay under the shade... and it was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment