Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Real life New Years...

My head hit the bed a little after 1am when the fireworks from New Year's Eve finally ceased and the children were all happily dozing. Sleep didn't last long, my alarm woke me cheerfully before 7am, my brother and family needing a ride to the airport to head home. They rolled their eyes as I drove through the line at Starbucks for my morning coffee, but I got them to the airport safe and sound thanks to my little triple venti latte wake-up call.

Elliott was up and cooking when I made it back home, omelets and other goodies awaited my return. Just the sustenance I needed to prepare for the day of work ahead. Due to a surprise contagious illness acquired the last two days of 2013, the first day of 2014 was filled with laundering, cleaning, vacuuming and sterilizing. It may be another day or two before we actually have all the laundry finished. Every time I think I have finished cleaning some pile here or there I find out a child wandered off with something not yet cleaned and I have to chase it down again. I have been vividly reminded why I do not wash clothes and linens on the same day. :)

Kids rode bikes while we put away Christmas in the garage. I cleaned out the indoor (garage) rabbit cage, now it's ready for the next freeze when the bunnies get brought in for refuge. Both cars were cleaned out and vacuumed. The garage was swept. Every time I do this I realize it is a futile effort, but it feels rewarding at the time, albeit short lived.

Somewhere along the way we skipped the official time for lunch and opted for a snack as the the Lego Winter Village sets were brought out and kids toiled away at making repairs to sets bumped and bruised in storage. The rest of the week they will tinker with putting together the pieces for this year's set. I escaped for a short round of errands and Elliott made homemade pizza to the great delight of the children.

I read some blogs between loads of laundry, other folks had some much more intentional and purposeful ways to ring in the New Year. Maybe that can be a resolution for me, to be more intentional to mark holidays and milestones in the coming year... I tend to just be happy to escape the holidays without a trip to the ER. One blogger buys everyone in her family rainbow colored socks and they all wear them on the 1st day of the year - I chuckle at the thought of finding a pair of rainbow colored socks in Elliott's size 16, but the imagery of remembering God's mighty promises is inspiring.

I will be honest, though, I have to guard my heart not to be discontent with the normalcy of my life compared to the blogworthiness of others. I am not sure I will even begin to contemplate goals or resolutions for another week. Our schedule and life is about to change, new activities and the first glimpse of older kids with busier schedules has my mind spinning. We have spent so much time guarding our family time over the years, we are looking to continue to strive for a balance that also allows for children to thrive within their giftings and interests even as that begins to take shape in seeking outside opportunities for them.

No matter how 2014 unfolds, through the normal real life moments, or the notable blogworthy ones, I know this, God's Word is true, and His mercy is new every morning, He is faithful and mighty. Do you know Him? 

2 comments:

  1. I was going to comment a while ago and then didn't. Just wanted to say that your posts are totally "blogworthy," as you say...and umm, you got tons accomplished for the first week of the new year so that's awesome, even with the setbacks of cleaning germs out of the house. New year's "resolutions" are so cliche' anyway...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks Gab, you are such an encouraging friend. :) Elliott has the flu now, so a new round of cleaning is about to commence... the fun never stops around here. ;)

      Delete