Sunday, November 18, 2012

The "O"...



A key to cultivating the kind of joy that James (as well as Paul) encourages us to attain to, the joy that supersedes circumstances, is our attitude, and that is what we will consider now, the “O” in our little cup of COFFEE.

O – Offer thanksgiving and praise…

In 1 Thessalonians 5:15-18 we are reminded to, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
Cultivating a joyful attitude is directly related to our understanding of how God works in our lives. We must be depending on God’s Sovereignty alone, trusting in His faithfulness and goodness towards us. 

Many of us can quote Romans 8:28 without batting an eye, but it is verse 29 which gives us the proper perspective for what “good” we are to be anticipating. “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order than He might be the firstborn among many brothers.” (Romans 8:28-29)

What does this look like as a Mom? How does Romans 8:28-29 and 1 Thessalonians 5:15-18 shape my attitude in the mundaneness of everyday mommying? Well, let’s consider that mysterious hallway fluid. If I have learned anything in my decade of parenting, it is that the discovery of an odd or unknown substance never occurs during a point in my day that is convenient.

And if I have been dwelling on God’s Word, remembering that I am called to “rejoice always” and “give thanks in all circumstances” and remembering that “all things work together for good” my response looks quite different than when I have been neglecting to meditate on God’s Word.

In fact, when I am not being reminded of the goodness and grace of the Lord, my response will likely be sinful. But when I am content in my circumstances and resting in the joy of the Lord, and spending regular time in Bible study, I will be more gentle with my answer and more tender toward my children. I may even be able to laugh at the situation and consider that this may be a sign that I needed to mop my floor.

The joy of the Lord comes when we learn to look at each situation how God does. We can thank Him in the midst of the storm because we know who God is and we trust His Word when He says He will take care of us. We grow in joy when we allow all situations, whether trivial, like my puddle in the hallway, or more serious, to prompt us to prayer and thanksgiving instead of turning our hearts to grumbling and complaining. 


No comments:

Post a Comment