Thursday, September 20, 2012

As the week spins by...

In the last two weeks, I spent a 4-day get-a-away retreat with my first two homeschooling mom friends, I hosted my first week of co-op and homeschool choir at my home, I got on a plane to fly to California to hop in a car and drive back to Texas, I hosted a party for a friend starting a home business and did all the other normal stuff needed during the week when running a household of 8.

I took a moment to sit down and marvel at how wiped out I am, and how long my to-do list for preparing for tomorrow still is. Moments like these leave me feeling inadequate and overwhelmed. But then I remember how good that is for me. Left to myself, I would be self-sufficient and operating completely on my own strength. Without the weakness of my flesh, my thoughts would be far from God. In His kindness, He allows for my back to ache, for my mind to dull and for my eyes to droop. God lovingly draws me to Himself as He shows me how weak I am, and how mighty He is as I turn my gaze from the piles of my circumstances to the beauty of His perfect plans for me.

Tomorrow I will teach 19 children (and their moms) how to make something lovely with two pieces of felt, some thread and a needle. A friend of mine will lead 44 children in making a joyful noise with the voices God has blessed them with. My neighbor (and precious friend) will teach my children (and me) about literary elements using our favorite picture books.

And while I hope to get the floor mopped and the laundry off the couch, among a list of other things... I am instead thinking about what will please the Lord more - my clean house, or a heart devoted to doing His will (even in the midst of messes). Maybe my messes will help someone see that we are real... maybe when things are "perfect" people can't see Christ as easily as when I am more honest about my struggles to "get it all done"... maybe the challenge is for me to be kind and loving to my children even though the messes are big and the clock is ticking... no matter what the scenario, I can be confident in this one thing, that God will use the circumstances, the messes, the trials of the day, to conform me more into the image of His Son, and that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment