Saturday, November 9, 2013

Shedding the weight...

I had to take what I could get in little bursts of time here and there, or in larger blocks after bedtime and before kids awakened. Finally, though, one room has been entirely thinned out. The upstairs craft room. As I worked, I couldn't believe how much the craft room was like the widow's jug of oil, no matter how much I got rid of, there was still more and more. In the end, this is what is leaving...

The top left picture is all going to be given away. The top right photo is trash. The bottom left picture is all baby and toddler stuff (new and gently used) that is being passed on to a niece expecting her first child. The bottom right photo is a glimpse of the number of plastic boxes freed in the decluttering process. 

And this is what is left:

Nice, orderly, relaxing. No precariously stacked boxes or overstuffed cubbies. I look forward to creating here. The twins have already asked for some time to sew. :) E said he plans to telecommute at the desk. 

I still need to finish the downstairs office turned extra sitting room. It is admittedly slower going in there. I know not what to do with cords and wires. I think some of the newly reclaimed plastic boxes may become the home for groups of wires since the drawers that used to house them don't fit in the new configuration. With all the decluttering upstairs, I was able to move some boxes with crafting supplies upstairs where they belonged, freeing some much needed space downstairs. Hopefully, I will get the office trimmed down and straightened up this week. It makes my heart happy to lighten the loads we have been carrying in stuff. And it makes me never want to walk inside a Target again. 

The office so far (not a pretty sight):



Our bedroom will follow the office/sitting room. I will be going through all my books in January. I am having to contain my excitement and set realistic expectations for finishing this project. I am still a wife and mommy, not just a clutter buster. :)

My heart's desire is that simplifying our belongings will simplify our day-to-day lives. Less stuff management, more living. I am thankful to the Lord for stirring my heart to loosen my grip on the things of this world. I am praying for the fruit of peace to reign in our home as the chaos of excess is swept out of it. 

How do you simplify? Regular decluttering or "can't handle it anymore" purging? Any advice on keeping the clutter at bay? 

1 comment:

  1. Hoping your decluttering is still moving along!! I would say that I declutter parallel to my hormonal cycle. Those are the days when decision making is obvious and quick (it's also when clutter bothers me the most). On the other hand, I know on the days when I have a hard time deciding what to do about the papers on my kitchen counter, I'm not going to get anything decluttered unless I have outside help. I usually wait until the next month (and of course, moving every three years sure does help, but that's not very practical for most folks!) I've not beat the clutter monster yet, as you well know, friend! Praying for you and miss you! Michelle

    ReplyDelete