Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Busy days ahead...

The speed of life seems to be in warp overdrive lately. We are being productive, but the days are blazing past and we will finish with our eighth week of school this Friday. I even had a night of anxious awakenings that I would not be ready for Friday co-op, I kept thinking it was Thursday night and was waking up and looking for my lesson plans. I even jumped out of bed and woke Elliott with my exclamation of terror at being unprepared. It was Saturday.

Then, after months of discussion and two years of not being involved in regular extra-curricular athletic endeavors, we decided to put the kids in some different activities. The older two are taking Tae Kwon Do classes twice a week. They seem to be enjoying it, Noah especially likes all the punching and kicking and Hannah seems to be getting a better idea of body control. The younger four have been begging to go back to gymnastics, and schedules fit just perfectly for the younger four to each take their age-specific class during the older two's Wednesday Tae Kwon Do class. Yes, all six children are in an activity within the same 60-minute time slot. I honestly don't think we would be able to do it any other way.

I have to split my time between the front and back gyms so that I can see everyone do at least a little of their practice. I let Hannah and Noah drop off Micah to his class in the back gym and I go watch the middle three kids warm up and go through their first circuit. I have been impressed with the intensity and seriousness they all show during practice. None of them are chatting or goofing off, and the skills they are already excelling at in three weeks is just awesome. When I make it to the back gym for Micah's class, I watch a kid who looks like my youngest, but I am amazed at how focused he is, not running around being silly like at home, but sitting and waiting his turn, being quick to listen, and catching on to the skills super fast. E and I have been encouraged that we made a good decision adding this activity.

After Micah finishes his class, we walk together to the front gym and find the middle three finished with their class. Today, Caleb handed me an invitation for him to join the Boys Team. My jaw dropped. We have only been going for three weeks. I had a flashback of the 6th grade when I made the gymnastics team. I also had a feeling of dread knowing how careful you must be to not let sports derail the direction of your family. The team for Caleb's age group practices on Monday, a day we are already at the gym for martial arts. I asked if there were slots for the twins and Micah during the same time, just so they could take another class instead of waiting, and there was. My mind was spinning...


I have been hesitant to become involved in sports with the kids, even one sport for each kid could pull us in all different directions for practices and games. I was an athlete all growing up, and yes, it kept me out of trouble, but it also became all consuming, and left plenty of scars to prove my dedication. I have watched friends and family who have put their lives on hold to follow the schedules of their kids sports and haven't wanted to repeat that. But I am not cold and heartless as to want to deny a child access to try out something in an area where the Lord has gifted them. I find myself having to wrestle with whether or not I am wanting to deny being active in sports because I think it is the best thing for my child or if I am selfishly wanting to keep my schedule simple or if I am acting in fear of future trials. Until now, no one has shown any aptitude for a particular sport so it was easy to not be in any.

Elliot and I chatted and I am going to call the gym tomorrow and ask if Caleb can try out a team practice before we commit. I want to see what the coaches are like, and I want to see if he enjoys the longer, more intense practice or if he really just enjoys the classes... so we shall see. A part of me is excited that at least a few of my genes passed on, those being the athletic ones. The other part of me is terrified, I have said I didn't want to go the athletic route with my kids, this will be a test of faith for me, I will need to weigh my decisions prayerfully and examine my heart for selfishness and fear.

Busy days ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment